The Battle For Leyte Gulf - Comic Book

Presented for your reading pleasure is Part 1 of  3 of a comic book I purchased on April 14, 2012 for $1.

As you can see from the title up above, it's called COMBAT, and is a $0.12 comic book published by Dell Publishing Co. in April of 1967 - not quite 18 years after WWII ended with the surrender of Japan in the Pacific theater.

The tale below presents a westernized view of the Battle for Leyte Gulf and the recapture of the Philippines by the Allied Forces from Japan back on October 21, 1944.

As a fair warning, the comic book refers to the Japanese with the term "Japs", which while some would consider it offensive nowadays, was not considered so back when the war was going on or when the comic was published. It certainly is a lot better than the more offensive term "Nips" which is derived from "Nippon", which was one way Japan was written, the other being "Nihon".

The comic book itself is in Very Fine condition, and until I purchased it, it didn't appear as though anyone had ever turned a page within its covers before. I have no idea why I was able to purchase the book so cheaply, nor do I care... I'm just glad I did.

Those of you who know me, realize I collect comic books and have over 30,000 of them in my collection dating back as early as 1911 - though I do have a pair of 1862 Japanese comic books utilizing woodblock printing techniques, both of which I presented HERE and HERE for you previously.

So, without much further ado, here's Combat #24. I shall present parts 2 and 3 over the next two days, along with other material for your reading pleasure. I'm sure that if you click on each image, it shall increase in size for you to allow you to better read it.


   







End of Part 1

Cheers,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive