The Many Faces of Buddha

Here's an interesting photo I took back in 1993 showing a beautiful Buddha with the sun shining through his halo. What struck me, however, were the hundreds of little Buddha statues down at his feet.

It almost makes me feel less like a heathen. Almost.

This black and white photo taken with Ilford 200 film on my Minolta SE 50mm lens camera. I did use a light yellow filter... because truthfully, there was no sun that day, nor any day that I traveled outside of my hometown of Ohtawara-shi, Tochigi-ken in Japan.

I am the Ame-otoko. Depending on which kanji is used, I'm either the candy man or the rain man. I'm the rain man. Yeah, definitely the rain man, yeah. Rain Man. 

Regardless, I do love the ancient look I was able to achieve with this photo. It sort of fits the subject matter, I think.

So... where the hell was this photo taken? Oh my Buddha! I have no idea. Anyone know? I think it was northwest of Tokyo somewhere... somewhere closer towards Mt. Fuji. I think... after all, it was cloudy and raining and I never, ever saw Mt. Fuji in three years in the country. And I looked...

Okay... One month after writing this, I think I've figured out that this photo was taken in Kamakura. I think it was taken on the grounds of the Kōtoku-in Temple in Kamakura, Kanagawa-ken (Kanagawa Prefecture).

Cheers,
Andrew Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive